About our Cafe Francais


SAB (Sir Adam Beck School) parents come meet other parents to learn and practice French, at Fair Grounds Roastery & Cafe located on 3785 Lake Shore Blvd. W (at 40th St & Browns Line, 416 251-2233, www.fairgroundscoffee.ca) on the first Tuesday of every month from 730pm to 900pm.


If you are like me, you may not have spoken French in a very long time or not at all. Don't let your rusty French prevent you from coming out to Café Français. Or maybe you just like to have brush up on your conversational French. All levels are welcomed and encouraged. We discuss a wide range of topics: sports, politics, and local issues.

On this blog, I will share information that might be useful to parents of French Immersion students attending Ecole Sir Adam Beck School. Your feedback is welcome.

Open to all, come and join us.
See you there/Bienvenue

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Notes from the first meeting on 16 February 2010

One of the reasons I started Café Français was because I wanted to brush up on the French language skills I had picked up during my early academic life. I had studied French since the fourth grade and continued until first year of university. Life moves on and now I have a son in Grade One French Immersion and I'm trying to keep up with him while helping with his homework. Now I find my French skills are very rusty. I thought maybe other parents are facing the same situation as me. Why not start up a meeting where other parents like me can practice our French and learn from/with each other? And Café Français was born...with the help of other parents we pulled this idea into reality. The following are some notes that I put together for the first meeting on 16th of February 2010.
.
.
.
.

Welcome/Bienvenue

Thank you for attending the first meeting of Café Français.

-align:justify">The objective is to provide an opportunity for parents of French immersion students to practice their conversational French.

A set topic will be discussed every week. The experience level will be from basic to advanced. The next meeting will be held on March 9th.

· General rules

o Don’t worry about making mistakes. We all make mistakes sometimes.

o Try to speak mostly in French unless you get stuck, then use English or equivalent.

o Practice

o Be patient with yourself and other participants

· General information

o Free French websites

§ www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca

· Free online lessons but must register, not sure of the exact requirements.

§ www.lingq.com

· Registration is free, lessons are free and online. Consists mostly of recorded conversations with translated transcripts.

§ Babelfish.yahoo.com

· Good, for translation but doesn’t check grammar

§ www.bonjour.com

· Basic, with sound and pronunciations

§ www.cpfchapters.ca/toronto_west/

· Canadian Parents for French (Ontario) formerly FIPA (French Immersion Parents Association)

· Great resource

o French Camps

§ Camp Tournesol

· www.camptournesol.ca

§ Camp Baby Point en Français

· www.experienceauthentique.com


· This week’s topic: Introductions & Greetings

o Objective to introduce oneself and recognize common questions.

Bonjour

Hello/Good morning/Good afternoon

Salut (informal)

Hi

Bonsoir

Good evening

Á bientôt

See you later

Au revoir

Goodbye

Q: Comment ça va? (Ça va?)

How are you? (How is it going?)

A: Ça va bien.

It’s going good.

Très bien.

Very good.

Pas mal

Not bad

Bien, merci. Et vous/toi?

Fine, thanks. And you?

Q : Comment vous appelez-vous? (formal)

What is your name?

Comment t’appelles-tu? (informal)

What is your name?

Quel est ton nom?

What is your name?

A : Je m’appelle …

My name is …

Je vous présente …

I’d like to introduce you to …

Enchanté(e) [m/f]

I’m pleased to meet you.

Parlez-vous anglais?

Do you speak English?

Vous habitez ici?

Do you live here?

Ça vous plaît ici?

Do you like it here?

Ça me plait beaucoup ici.

I love it here.

Formidable!

Great!

Pas de problème.

No problem.

D’accord.

Sure (I agree.)

Peut-être.

Maybe

Pas question

No way!

C’est bien.

It’s OK.

Bien

OK.

Combien d’enfants avez-vous?

How many kids do you have?

J’ai … enfants.

I have … kids.

Vos enfants, en quelle année sont-ils?

What grade are your children?

· Final practice

o Introduce yourself, tell how many children you have and what grade they attend, then present the person to your left.

o Bonsoir, je m’appelle {Jacques}, j’ai {un} enfant(s), et il est en cinquième année. Good evening, my name is Jack, I have one child, and he is in grade five.

· The end/Fin

No comments:

Post a Comment